Advent is a time of longing for our Incarnate God. Using the Ignatian tradition of imaginative prayer, Imagine Advent invites you to go deep with traditional Advent gospel readings.
This series works well for small faith sharing groups in parishes, can be adapted into weekly Advent prayer services, or be printed as take-home bulletin inserts for parishioners’ further reflection.
“Through the act of [imaginative] contemplation, the Holy Spirit makes present a mystery of Jesus’ life in a way that is meaningful for you now.”
– Kevin O’Brien, SJ, The Ignatian Adventure
Each week of this four-week series includes a handout that guides one through a familiar Ignatian pattern of prayer, a quote to orient oneself, a grace to seek during the prayer time, a gospel reading, prompts for imaginative prayer, and a concluding prayer. If using with a group, there are optional discussion question sheets at the end of the packet.
Included in the PDF:
- A full introduction to the series with suggested formats
- Leader guidance – a recommendation of how to structure each gathering using a familiar Ignatian method
- A “What is Imaginative Prayer?” sheet – An introduction to imaginative prayer that can be handed out to your group
- Optional discussion questions for each week along with a space for notes
- Four audio versions of each week, suitable for individual prayer or for playing for a group