Praying with Ignatius:
An Introduction to the Spiritual Exercises
A Virtual Weekend Retreat
19-21 February 2021
St. Ignatius of Loyola set up a pattern for the spiritual life called The Spiritual Exercises. While it is formally a retreat, the Exercises are the primary source of what we call “Ignatian spirituality” – a worldview that is incarnational, finds its fruit in contemplative prayer, and offers tools to discern the movement of God in daily life. This weekend virtual retreat will offer an overview of the structure and wisdom within the Spiritual Exercises.
- Gain an understanding of the structure of the Spiritual Exercises
- Pray with the main themes and graces from the Exercises
- Experience guided meditations drawn from the Exercises
The retreat begins on Friday night and concludes on Sunday morning. You will be invited to set aside much of the weekend to fully engage in this spiritual retreat.
There will be five live talks (all times Eastern):
- Friday at 8pm
- Saturday at 9am, 1pm, 8pm
- Sunday at 9am (optional sharing takes place after the final talk)
It will be important to attend all the talks to maintain continuity between the themes presented. Between talks you are invited to spend time in silence and prayer. You will be provided with suggestions on how to make your home a sacred space for this time of retreat.
- Guidance on how to make your home a space apt for a retreat
- Five live talks
- Handouts with guided prayer prompts
- Music for meditation
- Scripture suggestions
- An opportunity for sharing of graces at the end of the retreat
- A closing Examen